Raymond Biesinger – 17 Lost Buildings of Ottawa

17 Lost Buildings of Ottawa is the work by popular illustrator and musician of the Famines, Raymond Biesinger.

This is a 17-point chart (Which you can purchase the print for $40) showing Ottawa buildings of architectural, cultural, or social importance, all of which were bulldozed or burned out of existence between 1928 and 2014.
These buildings are:

  1. The Daly Building (1905-1992, Ottawa’s first department store, was designed by prolific local architect Moses Chamberlain Edey in the “Chicago” style)
  2. The Garland Building (1898-1969, another Edey structure, this one selling dry goods on the corner of Queen and O’Connor)
  3. Dominion United Church (1875-1961, Ottawa’s largest Protestant church, felled by fire and built by architects Horsey and Sheard)
  4. Green Valley Restaurant (1947-2002, currently a parking lot on the corner of Prince of Wales and Baseline, burned down on New Year’s Eve)
  5. Woolworth (1941-1997, a Sparks Street department store replaced by CBC’s Ottawa Broadcast Centre)
  6. The Old Post Office Building (1876-1938, stood exactly where the National War Memorial currently does)
  7. Slater House (1880s-1997, a two-storey Queen Anne Revival style building across from Christ Church Cathedral, neglected then demolished)
  8. Capitol Cinema (1920-1970, Ottawa’s largest ever cinema with 2530 seats)
  9. Russell House (1880-1928, the highest profile hotel in the Ottawa until the Chateau Laurier came along)
  10. The Citizen Building (1903-1970s, an Edwardian gem made specifically for the Ottawa Citizen by architect Edgar Horwood)
  11. Second City Hall (1877-1931, destroyed by fire and designed by the same architect as the towering Dominion United Church)
  12. 1The Ottawa Public Library (1906-1971, built by a $100000 grant from American oligarch Andrew Carnegie, bulldozed to make way for the current Main Branch)
  13. Sir John Carling Building (1967-2014, former headquarters of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
  14. Central Fire Station (1895-1964, another Edey building, this one knocked down and replaced with the Skyline Hotel)
  15. Grand Union Hotel (1888-1962, on the corner of Elgin and Queen, right across from the Second City Hall)
  16. The Ottawa Auditorium (1923-1967, housed up to 10000 spectators for the Ottawa Senators, assemblies, and musical concerts)
  17. Cathedral Hall (1958-2012, replaced by the Cathedral Hall Townhomes)

Leave a Reply