The sun came out in full bloom (hence Gardening theme) on this the first day of the Ottawa Folk Festival.
Since the weather reports were saying that it will rain on Friday night.
It didn’t and kicked off with alot of amazing acts.
The show was hosted by Amanda Putz and Ana Miura.
Started off with the Third Annual Cross-Cultural Artist Collaboration.
Where there was 25 artist and a dance group, which nice to listen and see.
The artist were:
- Liz Hanson – Brazilian percussion, marimba
- Larry Graves – percussion
- Andy Rush – bass, tuba
- Catriona Sturton – shamisen, triangle
- David Ross Macdonald – Guitar
- Debbie Danbrook – shakuhachi
- Ellen McIlwaine – guitar
- Emmannuelle and Pastelle LeBlanc – accordion & whistle
- Idy Oulo – Koull – guitar, percussion
- Jesse Stewart – water instrument, drums
- Lindsey Wellman – flute, sax
- Lyndell Montgomery – bass, violin etc…
- Petr Cancura – mandolin etc.
- Radoslav Lorkovic – accordion!!!
- Victoria Vox – ukulele & beautiful vocals!
- Melanie Jane – cello
Hopped to the Dance tent to take a quick glance of the Sadies.
It was alright and apparently they played a two hour set.
Must be good for those that missed out or wanted to hear alot of their music.
Sheesham and Lotus was interesting to see.
Kind of a throw down of the Americana folk roots music.
Nice clothes and instruments they played.
I finally got to see Kinnie Starr.
What an amazing singer!
Kind of like the beatboxing during one song, not sure if any of the folk festival audience did.
She looked lovely on stage.
Amy Millan was amazing to see live.
Her solo stuff is very acoustic folky.
It was nice to hear a different side of her which everyone is used to when she is with Stars or Broken Social Scene.
Sang some of the new tracks from the upcoming album and some of the first album.
Amazing hearing Skinny Boy and I think she did the cover of the Death Cab For Cutie.
One thing I will mention is that Stars will be back in the studio next spring. How exciting is that?
Lastly it was Steven Page to play the main stage.
Just him and a guitar.
Mostly new songs that could be from a upcoming album.
I was happy to hear three Barenaked Ladies songs which were:
- The Old Apartment
- Brian Wilson (which was the final song)
I almost cried hearing them because those songs were part of myself growing.
I never got to see Barenaked Ladies live but it bought some memories of it.
Steven was very funny during some of the banters.
I love to see more of his stuff now.
So that was the first day of the Ottawa Folk Festival.
[flickr-gallery mode=”photoset” photoset=”72157622109553264″]